Dr. Michael Schneider
- Dipl. Biochemiker (MSc in Biochemistry), Free University of Berlin
- Dr. rer. nat. (Doctor of Science), Free University of Berlin
- German Patentassessor
- European Patent and Trademark Attorney
Dr. Michael Schneider studied chemical engineering at the University of Applied Sciences of Berlin, and biochemistry and pharmaceutics at the Free University of Berlin. He graduated with a diploma in biochemistry in 1982 followed by a doctorate in biochemistry in 1987 with a thesis in the field of protein x-ray structure analysis.
From 1986 to 1989 he worked as an application specialist and sales representative for electrophoresis, gas chromatography and mass spectrometry for two leading international companies for analytical instruments. Between 1989 and 1993 he was patent attorney trainee in an international Munich IP law firm, at the German Patent and Trademark Office, the Federal Patent Court, and the District Court of Munich (Chamber of Patent Affairs).
After several years in own private practice he joined in 2001 one of the largest British commercial law firms headquarted in Leeds (final position: partner) and in 2010, under partnership and as head of the patent department, one of the 50 largest multinational law firms in the world with headquarters in London. After his retirement in 2016 he relocated to Buenos Aires/Argentina and is now Of Counsel Argentina to law firm CH Kilger.
Dr. Schneider has over 20 years of practical experience in representing renowned chemical and pharmaceutical companies internationally before the European Patent Office and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). His particular areas of expertise are sophisticated pharmaceutical and biotechnology inventions. The development and implementation of optimal international patent filing strategies is also part of his activities. Moreover, he advises on the defense and assertion of industrial property rights in opposition and patent infringement proceedings. One of his consultancy focuses is located in the field of cooperation between universities and industrial partners so that he has thorough knowledge with negotiation and drafting of license, R&D and cooperation contracts. Due to his long-time experience with M&A transactions he is also familiar with freedom to operate searches and IP due diligence investigations.
• Development and implementation of an optimal international patent filing strategy for a worldwide leading US paper manufacturer
• Negotiating and drafting a cooperation agreement between a leading European agrochemical company and one of the oldest German Universities
• IP due diligence for a worldwide leading US chemical company’s 6.3 billion USD acquisition of a Danish biotechnology company